Social Worker-Program Staff-Horticulture Unit
Position: Social Worker-Program Staff-Horticulture Unit
Reports To: Unit Leader
Fountain House successfully addresses the devastating impact of serious mental illness. We were founded in New York City in 1948 with the belief that people living with mental illness can be active participants in their own and each other’s recovery. Each year, over 1,300 members come to Fountain House to contribute their talents, learn new skills, access opportunities and forge new friendships.
Fountain House creates a culture that transforms lives. Our members, in partnership with staff, operate employment, education, housing and wellness programs. They perform all activities, including advocacy, administrative support, building maintenance and food preparation that keep our community going. Members hold jobs, graduate from schools, develop social networks and experience fewer hospitalizations and improved overall health. Increased fulfillment, sense of purpose, and stability inevitably follow.
Fountain House has inspired the creation of hundreds of similar programs in 34 countries that serve more than 100,000 people annually. In 2014, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation recognized our global reach and the efficacy of our evidence-based model with the prestigious Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize.
- Work alongside members on the tasks of the Horticulture Unit which include flower arranging, decorating the building for various holidays and special events, and other hands-on creative projects.
- Assist community members with case management.
- Build community within the membership.
- Facilitate and implement team projects.
- Engage members in the work of the community as part of Fountain House’s rehabilitative model.
- Actively participate in the maintenance of the unit and Fountain House in general.
- Assist and support members in their educational and vocational goals.
- Develop and coordinate creative projects to increase involvement in the community.
- Facilitate unit meetings.
- Master’s degree required.
- Ability to create and implement innovative projects and think outside the box.
- Attention to detail and interest in crafts and design.
- Positive, energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Flexibility, as demonstrated by interchangeability with other staff on the unit, staying late or arriving early, if necessary to fulfill unit or member needs.
- Working knowledge of mental illness.
- Experience working in a community setting.
- Non-clinical, community approach.
- Driver's License preferred.
Other Requirements or Preferred Characteristics:
Skills: Ability to work as part of a team, engagement, creative thinking, writing, computer and inter-personal skills required.
Salary: $42K - $45K
- Paid Time Off and Ten (10) Paid Holidays
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Medical, dental and vision plans (contribution towards premium required)
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Whole Life Insurance
- Short-Term Disability
- Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Disability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Tuition Assistance
- Pension Plan
- Tax Deferred Annuity
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Additional Application InstructionsTo apply for this position, you must view website at www.fountainhouse.org. If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter via e-mail to FHhorticulture@yahoo.com, or fax to 646-395-7391. NO PHONE CALLS. EEO
Sign up for Job Alerts
Administrative SupervisorSheltering Arms Children and Family ServicesBronx, NY, United StatesMar 22
YOUTH SPECIALISTSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-HollisMar 21
PARENT ADVOCATESCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
CASE WORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Nassau-Sea CliffMar 21
FOSTER CARE CASEWORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
More from Fountain House, Inc.
Residence Counselor in Supportive HousingFountain House, Inc.New York, NY, United StatesMar 20
Residence Staff WorkerFountain House, Inc.New York, NY, United StatesMar 20
Social Worker-Program Staff-Welcome CenterFountain House, Inc.New York, NY, United StatesMar 20
P/T Payroll Accounting StaffFountain House, Inc.New York, NY, United StatesMar 20
Social Worker SupervisorThe Jewish BoardBronx, New York, NY, United StatesMar 03
Licensed Social Worker - Bilingual (LMSW, LCSW)The Jewish BoardBronx, New York, NY, United StatesMar 03
Program DirectorThe Jewish BoardBrooklyn, New York, NY, United StatesMar 03
Social Services Supervisors—CAMBA Homeless SheltersCAMBANew York, NY, United StatesMar 03
Director of Residential Program ServicesUnited Cerebral Palsy of New York CityStaten Island, NY, United StatesFeb 24