Data & Design Coordinator, Benefits Access
Hunger Free New York City (HFNYC), part of Hunger Free America, strives to build a nonpartisan, grassroots movement to enact the policies and programs needed to end hunger in New York City and ensure that all New Yorkers have sufficient access to nutritious food.
A significant aspect of HFNYC’s work is to connect eligible NYC residents to the public nutrition benefits (primarily SNAP / food stamps) for which they’re eligible. Towards that end, we’ve developed Neighborhood Guides to Food & Assistance, which contain information on SNAP, WIC, School / Summer Meals and nutrition programs for seniors as well as information on food pantries and soup kitchens throughout the city. Each Guide contains a detailed map showing the locations of all these services. We have Guides covering 8 distinct neighborhoods in the city, in addition to a Citywide version. All are available in English and Spanish and a few have been translated into Chinese, Russian, and Korean. Each year all the information contained in the Guides must be updated. We print and distribute over 150,000 copies annually and distribute them to hundreds of agencies in all five boroughs.
Job Description: Reporting directly to the Director of Benefits Access, the Data & Design Coordinator, Benefits Access, is responsible for all aspects of the distribution and updating of HFNYC’s Neighborhood Guides to Food and Assistance.
Distribution of Neighborhood Guides
- Respond to phone call and email requests for Guides
- Input and track orders in Civi database
- Coordinate shipment of bulk orders with fulfillment center
- Pack and ship small orders
- Track inventory and order statistics
Annual update of Neighborhood Guides
- Contact over 1000 agencies to confirm information
- Track and update agency information in Civi database
- Utilize Adobe InDesign to update Guides, inputting and formatting agency information and preparing files for printer and web
- Utilize QGIS mapping program and Adobe Illustrator to plot sites and format maps
- Create and update fliers, mailings and perform other miscellaneous design / graphics tasks for other HFNYC departments as needed
- Supervise interns and periodic volunteers
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator and InDesign
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with GIS or other mapping programs
- Experience with Civi or other databases
- Able to lift and carry (short distance) 40 lb. boxes
- Familiarity with NYC neighborhoods
The ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter who works well independently. S/he will have good communication and interpersonal skills, responding to messages and emails in a timely manner and should be comfortable speaking on the phone. S/he will have demonstrated a commitment to fighting hunger/poverty and be comfortable working with low-income communities.
An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred, although candidates with relevant work experience will be considered. Bilingual candidates will be given preference.
Salary and Benefits: Salary and benefits will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations, including a strong health insurance plan.Hunger Free America / NYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
Additional Application InstructionsTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Be sure to include Data & Design Coordinator in the subject line. Applicants sending resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Or fax to: 646.459.4378
Sign up for Job Alerts
Administrative SupervisorSheltering Arms Children and Family ServicesBronx, NY, United StatesMar 22
YOUTH SPECIALISTSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-HollisMar 21
PARENT ADVOCATESCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
CASE WORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Nassau-Sea CliffMar 21
FOSTER CARE CASEWORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
Purchasing and Procurement CoordinatorComunilifeNew York, NY, United StatesFeb 28
Director of Quality AssuranceBirch Family ServicesNew York, NY, United StatesMar 20
Director of Major GiftsCitymeals on WheelsNew York, NY, United StatesFeb 21
Clinic Registrar (Bilingual) – Comunilife Vida Guidance CenterComunilifeBronx, NY, United StatesMar 09
Multiple OpportunitiesJCCANew York, NY, United StatesMar 03