Rockaway Park, New York
Martin De Porres is a Non-Public Special Education school for day and residential students. Our students come to us when their educational needs cannot be met within their district. Students attending the program are classified as Emotionally Disturbed by the Committee on Special Education. Daily, students receive counseling, have an intensive behavioral modification program, as well as access to behavioral counselors should the need arise. Our goal is to help each and every student develop to his or her fullest. To do this, we have developed an excellent and varied academic program geared to the individual needs of each student. Every student also participates in vocational development that helps to build those skills necessary for integration into the workplace. Of most significance is the fact that our staff builds supportive relationships with students and families. At MDP, we believe that consistent relationships are a healing force that is invaluable to the educational process.
- We believe that all have the capacity to learn in a manner so that they build self-esteem, connect to a supportive school community and foster an optimistic worldview.
- We serve youth who struggle with internal and external factors beyond their control that have contributed to a failure to thrive in school.
- We create an environment that cultivates interpersonal relationships, maintains structure and provides opportunities to build competence.
- We expect our students to cultivate the skills necessary to be constructive members of the community who will positively influence others and the world around them.
- We nurture our students in a way that helps them develop empathy with others.
About the Position:
We are seeking an experienced education leader who is passionate about serving students with severe social emotional and behavioral disabilities aged 13-21. The Principal will organize and direct the services of the school by overseeing day-to day operations in our school which operates year round. They will work with their team to continually analyze and evaluate school programs and functioning and implement creative solutions when addressing challenges. The ideal candidate must have experience working with a behaviorally challenging population, is an outstanding strategic planner and an empowering team leader. The Principal reports to the agency Asst. Executive Director.
- Directly address and manage student behaviors.
- Plan, organize, control and direct the provisions of Education, Special Education and Vocational services in support of the school and program to provide the best possible supports for the students in our care.
- Supervise the performance of assigned personnel including:interviewing candidates for hire; provide supervision and support to education staff, conduct disciplinary action when necessary.
- Interpret, apply and assure compliance with federal, state and local district laws and regulations related to school functionality.
- Manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of school including: facility needs, space allocation and site development.
- Communicate with other administrators, personnel and outside organizations to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information; negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding and meeting IEP mandates
- Manage operations including regulatory compliance and safety
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, students andparents/guardians
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Knowledge of computer systems
- Ability to manage student behavior
Education and Experience:
- NYS Education Department requirements for Certification as a School Building Administrator
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in school administration with at least one year in a special education environment
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Life and LTD Insurance
- Voluntary 403b Tax Deferred Annuity
- Voluntary supplemental insurance
Apply to: Jobs@mdp.org
We are an equal opportunity employer
Sign up for Job Alerts
Administrative SupervisorSheltering Arms Children and Family ServicesBronx, NY, United StatesMar 22
YOUTH SPECIALISTSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-HollisMar 21
PARENT ADVOCATESCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
CASE WORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Nassau-Sea CliffMar 21
FOSTER CARE CASEWORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21