Tenant Support Specialist Community Associate
Public Engagement Unit
Tenant Support Specialist
The Tenant Support Unit is recruiting one (1) Outreach Specialist for our Tenant Support Unit (TSU) with experience in community-based outreach and organizing.
The Tenant Support Unit proactively engages New Yorkers who may be at risk of displacement or harassment and connects them with City resources. The team of specialists has identified thousands of tenants who have issues, case managing each issue by connecting them with a range of services from legal assistance to basic repairs. Modeled after the outreach program for Pre-K for All that successfully enrolled 68,500 children in free, full-day Pre-K, the Tenant Support Unit reaches New Yorkers directly. Since it launched in July 2015, specialists from the unit have knocked on more than 57,000 doors and called more than 23,000 tenants, identifying more than 2,400 New Yorkers that needed help. A dynamic and fast–paced office with multiple priorities and frequent special assignments, we seek talented staff dedicated to helping New Yorkers.
We are seeking Tenant Support Specialists with deep experience with community-based outreach and case management. Successful candidates should have at least one year of community, issue, labor or political organizing experience, and excellent communications and outreach skills. The candidate should have demonstrated ability to closely track metrics and outcomes, and be detail-oriented and organized. Familiarity with New York City government, housing issues, and a commitment to helping others is preferred.
The Tenant Support Specialist responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Engaging tenants through door-to-door outreach to identify housing-related issues and case manage to resolution.
- Maintaining ongoing reporting and communication with Borough Lead.
- Creating individualized outreach plans for their areas, mapping out key geographic areas, community partners and interest groups.
- Organizing outreach events in partnership with community groups, elected officials and city agencies.
Prior experience in City government, social services, and/or housing & homelessness policy a plus.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above.
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to provide support to tenants in New York City.
- 1 year of experience with community, issue, labor, or political organizing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to engage people in conversation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English; Spanish a plus.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment.
- Willingness to learn, be flexible and adapt to work assignments in a variety of situations and an ability to problem solve.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Salary Range: $35,683 - $51,250 (Annual)
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov and search for Job ID #267109 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW.
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Administrative SupervisorSheltering Arms Children and Family ServicesBronx, NY, United StatesMar 22
YOUTH SPECIALISTSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-HollisMar 21
PARENT ADVOCATESCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
CASE WORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Nassau-Sea CliffMar 21
FOSTER CARE CASEWORKERSCO Family of ServicesNew York-Queens-JamaicaMar 21
More from NYC Human Resources Administration
Special Advisor for Government Affairs at DHSNYC Human Resources AdministrationNew York, NY, United StatesMar 06
Community Engagement ManagerNYC Human Resources Administrationnew yorkMar 01
Special AssistantNYC Human Resources Administrationnew yorkMar 01
Operations AssociateNYC Human Resources Administrationnew yorkMar 01
Senior Computer ProgrammerNYC Human Resources Administrationnew yorkMar 01
Bail AssociateThe Liberty FundNew York, NY, United StatesFeb 22
Purchasing and Procurement CoordinatorComunilifeNew York, NY, United StatesFeb 28
Director of Residential Program ServicesUnited Cerebral Palsy of New York CityStaten Island, NY, United StatesFeb 24
Director of Quality AssuranceBirch Family ServicesNew York, NY, United StatesMar 20
Multiple OpportunitiesJCCANew York, NY, United StatesMar 03